In the South-Gironde, the landscapes undulate between vineyards, forests and waterways. Whether you take the Grands Crus road, the river path of the Ciron gorges or the arts trail in the Landes de Gascogne, adventure awaits you. And because the landscapes are not everything, we welcome you here with pleasure and a smile. The Gascons of Gironde open their doors to you and share their know-how and the culture that is dear to them. Follow the leader…
Must see and do in Saumur!
Landes de Gascogne Regional Nature Park
- In this green setting, ecotourism flourishes. At the heart of the largest forest in Europe, time passes more slowly. Walks around the lakes (Lamothe to The cough, or Taste à Captieux) and Gat Mort lagoons are peaceful and invigorating. North of the park, 3 minutes from Brède Castle la Geological Nature Reserve of Saucats-La Bréde of 75 hectares holds many secrets. With the museum's collections and open-air showcases, you embark on a journey through time, some 20 million years back, quite simply exotic!
In this medieval city of South-Gironde, conviviality is combined at all times. Here the inhabitants are true ambassadors, here we are Gascon and proud of it. Everyone knows each other and meets on Saturday morning at the market. At the foot of the Saint-Jean-Baptiste Cathedral in Bazas, under the arcades, the stalls will delight you: local products, Gascon charcuterie, cheese, seasonal fruit... enough to fill your basket! After the market, enjoy a walk in the historic center to pick up a nice souvenir from the craftsmen and antique dealers of the village. Our little secret: book your visit to theApothecary, a magnificent place, preserved in the heart of the former Saint-Antoine Hospital.
- Clementine castles
The Clementine castles were built by Pope Clement V, born in Villandraut and buried in Uzeste. These five fortresses each have their own personality:
Roquetaillade emblematic, houses sumptuous Viollet-le-Duc interiors.
Villandraut, impressive, full of activities for families.
Forges, medieval, invites you to discover its wine estate.
Hamel surprising, has a breathtaking view of the Garonne and its Canal.
Buddhas and its ruins will leave you, without a doubt, pensive and daydreaming of that bygone era, when the soldiers defended the towers. On guard!
- Saint Macaire
This medieval city is full of little secret corners, don't be shy, come and tame them. At the top of the ramparts, the Priory of Saint-Macaire, attached to theSaint-Sauveur church is remarkable, Harry Potter fans will surely see a resemblance to a certain school of wizards. Here, epicureans meet on summer evenings in the central square: Mercadiou, for a tasty farmers market. Medieval immersion undeniably takes place at the end of August on the occasion of the medieval festivals where a large costumed banquet is held.
- Royal Castle of Cazeneuve
When the visit starts, very quickly we begin to imagine Queen Margot strolling through the corridors of the castle, returning to her room... We hear the sound of copper saucepans being activated in the kitchen, we can see the King in the distance returning from hunting… In this old medieval fortress, history comes to life, thanks to the remarkable work of the inhabitants and owners of the residence.
Don't leave without tasting...
- Local products
Meat lovers? You will be conquered by the bazadais beef, tender and subtle. On the poultry side, the Grignol capons prances in the lead, especially during the holiday season. And for fish lovers, lamprey à la bordelaise remains a must in Girondin.
- Sweet delicacies
When it comes to pastry, the Sud-Gironde is not to be outdone. Small caramelized desserts with cream from Maison Seguin, better known as Puits d'Amour, await you in Captieux. Near Langon, the little sweet puffs called Rocks of the Graves, make more than one crack!
The shopping moment
- Memories of wine-growing lands
Sauternes comes to life on a soil composed of limestone, clay, sand and pebbles. It is in autumn, when the waters of the Ciron, meet the warmer waters of the Garonne, which the magic operates. The morning mists, beyond being a magnificent moment, favor the development of a microscopic fungus: Botrytis cinerea. It is he who will allow the grapes to concentrate in sugar and enrich their aromas.
The oenological richness of the territory does not stop there, you have in front of you, the historic cradle of Bordeaux wines. Do not miss the open doors, to discover Chartreuses, these magnificent wine estates and their production.
This aperitif was born in 1872 in power up. It is the result of a blend of wines and macerations of different fruits. It is in the heart of the old distillery that you will discover the stages of production, thanks to sensory and visual activities.
- An unusual experience in the vineyard
Here, the vineyard is above all a walk, a road: The Bordeaux Wine Route in Graves and Sauternes. On the way: unusual and unique experiences. To start, a flight over the Château Venus? Or a climbing session at the top of a 10 meter tree? (the view has to be earned but once up there, what a marvel!). Unless you are tempted by a parenthesis of care and gentleness, Sources of Caudalie… You choose !
On the way ...
...Ciron, this river that crosses the Landes de Gascogne plateau. Nicknamed the little Amazon, it offers many activities: fishing, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, you are spoiled for choice. When we walk along the Ciron gorges, nature often has surprises in store for us, an otter at the water's edge, a pond turtle. In this Natura 2000 area, open your eyes and simply enjoy.
The crush ❤ of the editorial team
To end this trip to South-Gironde, we could not let you leave without mentioning “Les Illustres” who passed there. The novelist François de Mauriac came to spend his holidays at Domaine de Malagar, a haven of peace that inspired him in the writing of his works.
Le La Brède castle is the estate where Charles Louis de Secondat, baron of La Brède and Montesquieu, was born and lived. The bedroom of the philosopher and author of “Lettres Persanes” and “L'esprit des lois” is also preserved in its XNUMXth century state.
The painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, meanwhile, stayed in his family home: Château Malromé. The visit of the castle, and the discovery of its works are also not to be missed!
Our good addresses
To sleep :
- Chateau Leognan : sustainable accommodation with rooms and lodges, restaurants and spa area.
- Cottage of Château Lassalle : house of character in the Bordeaux vineyards.
- The Girondine Cabins : sublime luxury cabins nestled in the forest.
- Domaine EcOtelia : ecological outdoor hotel for an unusual stay in harmony with nature.
- Château de la Tour hotel-restaurant : establishment of character in the heart of a magnificent 3 hectare estate, at the foot of the Château de Cadillac.
To eat :
- La Grand’vine : gourmet restaurant at Les Sources de Caudalie.
- The Pintxoak : bistro with delicious market flavors in Martillac.
- The Graves Bistro : family and friendly brasserie in the center of Léognan.
- AGA : gourmet restaurant, intuitive and personal cuisine.
- The Beef Pop : restaurant for lovers of Bazadaise meat (a la carte vegetarian dish).
- The Entrecoeur : authentic restaurant, traditional seasonal cuisine revisited in association with wines from Barsac and Graves.